Southern Super Series presented by Sunoco officials have announced several general procedures for the 2014 racing season.
The goal of the procedures is to continue the Southern Super Series’ foothold as a premier Super Late Model touring series in the country. While many of the rules and procedures that were successful in the series’ debut season of 2013 remain intact, other additions and alterations have been made to move the Southern Super Series forward.
The rule and procedures announced for the 2014 Southern Super Series season are as followed:
• The standard 125-lap events (not including the Rattler 250, Alabama 200, World Crown 300 and All American 400) will count only the green-flag laps.
• Each standard 125-lap event will be a six-tire race.
• Tires can be changed at any point in the race in the 125-lap events.
• There will be a controlled competition caution at or around lap 75 of the 125-lap events.
• At the controlled competition caution, the field will line up behind the pace car for five laps. Cars may go to the pits once the pit area is opened by officials. Once the car has completed its service on pit road, it will line up in the order that it came onto pit road. Cars that pit under the controlled competition caution will line up behind the cars that chose not to pit.
• At any other yellow-flag period in the 125-lap events, cars will line up in their position as they come off pit road.
• In a change from 2013, there will not be an invert nor bonus points awarded at the competition caution.
• Series officials highly recommend the use of helmets on all over-the-wall crew members on pit stops. Helmets will be mandatory in the 2015 Southern Super Series season.
• All extra-distance events (Rattler 250, Alabama 200, World Crown 300, All American 400) will remain with the same procedures as in 2013 with live pit stops, caution laps counting, etc.
• Qualifying order and tire selection for all Southern Super Series events, with the exception of the Rattler 250, will be set by a draw. The Rattler 250 had tire and qualifying procedures in place before the sanctioning agreement with the Southern Super Series was finalized.
A 2014 rule book and full procedure information will be posted soon to www.southernsuperseries.com.